Many people like to keep some things private and not to share with anyone else. That can be hard to achieve given that your mobile phone is probably a key to all your secrets. Let’s explore how to hide apps on Android and iPhone in case you need it one day.
There are three ways to hide apps on Android: to disable default apps, use app hiding apps for non default apps and to put apps in secured folders. As for iphones, the choice is only one, to bury apps in a folder.
How to hide apps on Samsung galaxy phone
Users of Samsung phones can hide apps, documents, images by putting them in a secure folder. Similar to securing documents, there is an option to password protect the whole folder. There you can hide apps or other stuff. Even if someone tries to access that folder, it won’t be possible without a password.
If you have a Samsung galaxy phone, here is what you need to do to have your apps hidden:
- Tap on Settings and then Biometrics and security option.
- Tap on Secure Folder and follow the steps to lock a folder.
- Check the App Drawer to find your secured folder there.
How to hide apps on android without rooting or launcher
If you want to hide apps that you downloaded from Google Play store, you need to install an app for hiding apps. There are various such apps and they can have different features. For instance, AppLock, Calculator Vault, Apex Launcher, App Hider, Privacy Hider. Some of these apps like App Hider, Privacy Hider and Calculator Vault are disguised by a look of another app so no one can know that you have an app hiding app. Other apps like AppLock and Apex Launcher don’t have disguised design and anyone can see that you have installed such app. But, these apps store secured, password protected folders where you can keep apps away. Plus, with Apex Launcher you can quickly open the app you hid, by searching for it in a default search bar.
How to disable pre installed apps on Android
The easiest way to remove and hide apps that are pre installed, is to disable them. It is not possible to uninstall such apps but if you disable them, they will be hidden.
- Tap on the Settings icon.
- Find Applications and tap on it.
- Tap on the app you want to hide and then tap on Disable.
This method is also handy when you want to make some space on your phone memory.
How to hide apps on iPhone
If you are an iPhone user, you may already know how to do this. It is more straightforward than on Android. Here how to hide default apps on iPhone:
- Tap on the Settings icon.
- In the General> Restrictions> Enable restrictions.
- Enter a password and choose the apps you wish to hide.
It is important to note that this only work with pre installed apps. Luckily, there is a way to hide the apps you download from the app store.
- Go to Settings icon.
- Open the list of your apps.
- Select apps you wish to to be hidden.
- Tap on Don’t Allow Apps.
This method may not work with all third party apps. If you are having trouble hiding a third party app with the guidelines above, here’s what else you can do:
- Hiding apps based on age restrictions
- Move apps to some different folders, like the ones where you store Clock, Alarms, Flashlight etc.
- Remove the apps you want to hide from the dock and make a new folder where you will move the apps. Move the new folder with the hidden apps back to the dock. Change the Siri & Search settings so no one can find the app when searching for it.